Thursday 5 January 2012

About completing legal documents

I've filled out my daughter's passport form three times now.  I like to think I have average intelligence.  I have a Bachelor of Arts, sure it's only in Theology, but I  managed to pass exams in ancient Greek, Hebrew and even English. I can't be a total dunce! The passport application still seems to be getting the better of me, I keep filling it out wrong and having to do it again.
I'll admit to partial liability.  I don't like reading the instructions. It stands to reason that these applications should be idiot proof. My parents who speak limited English managed to procure passports (granted they did read the instructions). So being a native English speaker with average intelligence I like to think I can fill out a simple passport form without needing to pour over the manual. My philosophy has not yet led to success however.
The other reason I am filling out the stupid form again is due to the ambiguous wording on some of the questions. Case in point, "Name of the mother at the time of her birth." At the time of whose birth, mine or the baby's? Is this a politically correct way of asking for my maiden name? Confused? I was! So after misunderstanding that question I get the joy of refilling out the form because you can't use white out on a government document.
This kinda thing would generally drive me into the arms of a double cheeseburger, but it's a new year and I'm trying to be a good example to my daughter, or at very least maintain some semblance of girth control. So instead of focusing on the problem at hand, I'm focusing on the great places we will be able to go once I finally manage to lodge these forms. My little cherub's first passport,  aww she's growing up so fast! So I will persevere with completing the paperwork and hope that it will bring us many exciting adventures. 

I pray that if something is getting the better of you today, that you will find a way to not only rise above it but to totally conquer it, even if you need to read some instructions.

Romans 5:3-4 NLT
We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment