Thursday 5 January 2012

Against All Odds

If you're a plant in casa de Susan, odds are you will not live to tell the tale. I'm a bi-polar gardener, I get excited and will repot, splint and water plants like mother nature preparing for Spring. Then I lose interest and the plants are cut loose to fend for themselves.
Occasionally against all odds a few plants survive. Eight days before Christmas (the day before I left to go interstate) I replanted some basil in "my garden"  (a styrofoam box).  When we got back after Christmas the basil had flourished to Edenic proportions.
Despite being neglected, left to fend for itself and used as make shift litter box the basil managed to grow to maturity with God's help. He provided the sun and rain and the basil took off growing like a teenage boy. 
Yesterday, I cut some off and made tomato, basil and bocconcini hors d'oeuvre, Delicious! (thanks Mad and Valita Reynolds for the recipe, check out Valita's blog for craft ideas, you won't regret it). Even when things weren't ideal they still managed to fulfill their purpose.
Your life may have started out the same way as my basil, neglected and left to fend for yourself. There may have even been days when you felt the universe was using your life as a make shift litter box.
But You are much too special to let that steal your purpose. You are fearfully and wonderfully made, created in the image of God, though life may not be ideal you too can flourish and grow to maturity with God. He'll provide what you need even against all odds.

In Memory of those who did not survive, venus fly trap, horribly deformed carrots, egg shell alfalfa, magnolias, you deserved better. I'm sorry.

Psalm 139:14 - I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading you blog post today :) enjoy that basil... YUM!
    http://valitasfreshfolds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete